You are here


If you are asked to verify your status as a citizen or permanent resident of the United States, documentation includes one of the following:

  • Documentation indicating U.S. citizenship: U.S. birth certificate, signed U.S. passport or passport card, certificate of citizenship, naturalization, or birth abroad
  • Permanent Resident Card: I-551 (front and back)
  • Departure Record: I-94 or CBP I-94A, must be stamped “Processed for I-551” with expiration date or “Temporary Form I-551” with appropriate information completed
  • Machine Readable Immigrant Visa (MRIV), which serves as a temporary I-551

All other eligible non-citizens (refugees, asylees, parolees, and other special circumstances) must provide written documentation from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) that they hold a citizenship status approved for the receipt of federal financial aid. This documentation will then be matched with DHS records.

UL Lafayette Student Financial Aid is unable to offer need-based aid to international students.

The University requires international students applying for admission to present evidence of sufficient funds to cover all tuition, fees, books, and living expenses for their study.

Selective Service

Almost all male U.S. citizens, and male immigrants living in the U.S., who are 18 through 25, are required to register with Selective Service.

Individuals who are required to register can do so only after they reach the age of 18 and before their 26th birthday. Those required to register who fail to do so may forfeit their eligibility for aid permanently if they cannot demonstrate that their failure to register was not done knowingly and willfully.

Aid applicants can register for the Selective Service online by selecting the appropriate option on the FAFSA or at the Selective Service registration website. For more information about who is required to register or what to do if you did not register on time, visit the Selective Service System website.