TOPS is the Tuition Opportunity Program for Students that provides Louisiana high school graduates meeting specific eligibility requirements with a scholarship if they choose to attend a Louisiana public college or university. Apply for TOPS using the FAFSA.
For the 2015-16 academic year, this is the value of TOPS awards.
Each year, the Louisiana Office of Student Financial Assistance (LOSFA) evaluates the records of all Louisiana high school graduates, whose parents are also Louisiana residents. Eligibility is determined through high school transcripts and student ACT scores. High school graduates with:
- 2.5 GPA on the TOPS Core Curriculum
- Composite score of 20 on the ACT
- Completed Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
LOSFA notifies high school graduates of their eligibility during the summer following their high school graduation.
The Financial Aid Office recommends all students receiving TOPS renew their FAFSA every year.
- Students must be enrolled for full-time hours on the 15th day of class to receive payment for TOPS for that semester. You can be paid if you are less than full-time under special circumstances. You should check with a financial aid counselor before assuming you will be paid for less than full-time enrollment.
- Students must earn 24 credit hours each year (Fall/Winter Session/Spring/Spring Intersession/Summer) and maintain the required GPA for their TOPS Award
- GPA miminium 2.0 cumulative at the end of each fall, intersession or summer semester
The following GPA’s will be checked at the end of each Spring semester:
|Opportunity Recipient Below 48 hours earned||2.3 GPA|
|Opportunity Recipient with 48+ hours earned||2.5 GPA|
|Performance or Honors Recipient||3.0 GPA|
This scholarship is available through the LOSFA (Louisiana Office of Student Financial Assistance).